Monday, March 21, 2011

Post 5- Midpoint reflection

My internship is kind of the same as I thought of it, and what I mean by that is that I expected to do book shelving and that is exactly what i'm doing. But something that is different is what I didn't expect is being able to help people find the kind of books in all the titles that people want. Also, once I helped by taking the books that don't belong to the library, and put it in a small box where it can be shipped to the # of the branch that is written there on the books. My internship's workplace is really clean and organized as well as IHSL and there is a kitchen in the basement of the library which is only used for staff only the same as my school. So, there is a lot of stuff that are the same in both of them. But, however there are differences too like the kind of job I do in each of them, the place that I work in, the kind of people I see there, and the size of each building. So, in conclusion, there are a lot of sameness and differences in both of them.

The kind of skills that I gained from my internship is being organized and responsible. Also, I learned how to be independent and work on my own and be treated as an adult in which I have my own job where I communicate with a lot of professionals in that kind of job. By the way, I also noticed that being treated as an adult is really hard because that's the time where is nobody that can help you as when you were a teenager. I think I have grown a lot of this experience. The things that I'm talking about are like I have actually gained the confidence in meeting and talking to new people even though, I'm still shy at first. Also, working with adults had showed me how to be one of them and do the kind of work that they do. It is really an enjoyable and interesting journey to explore even though, It is still really hard to achieve if you are not a good student.

In truth, I really don't talk to my mentor a lot because she is not working in my internship anymore. But, I mean still even when she was working in my internship, I didn't used to talk to her at all except saying "hi" when I come in and if I have anything important to tell her. So, I think I need to work on my communication skills with my new mentor especially when I know who is she. I learned how to put the books in order before putting them on the shelves so it can be really easier for me when I put them in their original space. Also, If I have any problems with putting the books back or not knowing where to put them, I just ask questions to the other part-timers that work there because they been working there for a longer time period than me.

The changed schedule really affected me and how I use the time to go to internship and do the work that I have to do. First, It is a positive change because we don't have to do in the classes and have a lot of time to go to internship. Second, It is a negative change because there is a lot of projects that we need to do in order to pass the class.Sometimes after I come back from internship, there is not a lot of time for me to do my work on time. Some goals that I hope to accomplish after I finish my internship is to leave good things behind me and always when anybody ask about me, they can hear good things about me and the things I did in my internship. Also, to be more organized and responsible and be able to do what the others tell me to do.

What I have learned from being out in Newyork city is that you are independent and everything you do is on your own and you are responsible to what your doing. If you didn't do something, It's actually your fault. Also, you feel like you are treated as an adult and you have a job like other adults and your living your own life. I think my relationship with my mentor is not that good because first of all, My mentor does not work in my internship anymore and before she left, I just used to tell her " hi" when I come in and " bye" when she signs my time sheet. So, I think my relationship with my mentor is still as mentor-student style. Also, I think because i'm still shy even if I worked there for a long time now.

At first, when I didn't know where is the actual place for the books that I have to put in order, I used to put it anywhere that I want to because I was really confused of where to put the books. But, However, that changed because after that I felt bad of what I was doing so, I started to ask questions to the people who work there and they always tell me so, that wasn't hard at all and now I'm really good at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment